Firm Advises Growthpoint on Its EUR186m Investment in Globalworth
20 Dec 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons advised Growthpoint Properties Limited, a South African REIT listed on the JSE, on its EUR186.4m subscription for 23,300,000 ordinary shares in AIM listed Globalworth Real Estate Investments Limited, a real estate investment company active in Central and South East Europe with a primary focus on Romania. The transaction completed on 20 December 2016, and Growthpoint now holds a 26.88% stake in Globalworth.
Globalworth Real Estate Investments Ltd issued shares at a premium to Growthpoint Properties Ltd and Oak Hill Advisors (Europe) LLP to raise a total of EUR200m.
The transaction will enable Growthpoint to invest in an established, high-quality real estate company active in Central and South East Europe, regions which are expected to benefit from the growing demand for office and industrial real estate, on the back of strong gross domestic product growth as well as the rapid expansion of a young, skilled working population.
The investment will also facilitate the completion of Globalworth’s development projects and further unlocks potential new pipeline acquisition opportunities, initially in Romania and thereafter across the broader Central and Southeast Europe regions. Furthermore, as an anchor investor committed to the long term growth of Globalworth, Growthpoint can introduce access to new sources of funding for Globalworth, as well as access to Growthpoint’s institutional knowledge base through its representation on the Globalworth board of directors and investment committee. The investment will also provide Globalworth an increased ability to raise funds from international debt capital markets at an attractive cost.
Commenting on the transaction, Patrick Graves, said: “Simmons & Simmons is delighted to have advised Growthpoint, the largest South African primary listed REIT, on this transaction which is only its second equity investment outside South Africa and one which is expected to be transformational for Globalworth”.
Norbert Sasse, Chief Executive Officer of Growthpoint, commented: “This transaction marks an exciting development for Growthpoint, and we are hugely appreciative of the first class support we received from the Simmons & Simmons team throughout the process.”
Corporate partners Patrick Graves and Ed Baker led the Simmons & Simmons team assisted by corporate associate Samantha Darby and by a real estate finance team led by Simon Kildahl comprising Robert Farrer-Brown and Nikolai Hoffman.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. Clients of our corporate practice include national and multinational corporations, leading financial institutions, asset managers and investment funds, governments and industry bodies. With a team of over 250 corporate lawyers based across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we are known for handling complex and innovative domestic and cross-border transactions. Core areas of focus for the UK corporate practice include mergers & acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and strategic alliances, demergers and corporate restructurings, auction sales, investments by hedge funds, commercial and consumer law, corporate governance and general corporate advisory. The ability to service clients operating in highly regulated markets is a common theme across all our work.
6. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on + 44 207 825 3134 or at firstname.lastname@example.org , or Lauryn McKinney, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or at email@example.com