Firm Advises Royal National Institute of Blind People on Innovative Smart Meter Project
07 Dec 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), on a pro bono basis, on the development and nationwide roll-out of accessible smart meters for the blind and partially-sighted.
Energy UK* has directed the collaboration with RNIB and Green Energy Options (GEO) to develop GEO’s smart meters to optimise them for the blind and partially-sighted.
The team at Simmons & Simmons advised RNIB on licensing their existing text-to-speech functionality, intellectual property and the ownership of the visual and tactile functionality which would be developed for the smart meters.
After two years of negotiations, development is in progress and RNIB-approved smart meters should be in the home across the country in the not-too-distant future.
Richard Binns, intellectual property partner at the firm, commented: “This piece of work provided the firm with a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate our market leading intellectual property expertise in support of an initiative that will make all the difference to those who are blind and partially-sighted in the community. We are so pleased that we were able to be a part of this innovative solution.”
Commenting on the Simmons & Simmons advice, Amelia Billington of RNIB said: “It is crucial that RNIB is able to work with a range of partners to develop trusted, accessible products and best value for our customers. We couldn’t have achieved this without the expertise and dedication of the team at Simmons & Simmons and we want to thank them for their continued support towards achieving our goal of making daily life better for everyone with sight loss.”
The RNIB is one of Simmons & Simmons’ key pro bono partnerships. In the past year we have also carried out pro bono work for the RNIB in relation to ICT related partnership agreements, dispute resolution and disposal of assets.
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by Richard Binns, assisted by Jack Simmons.
* The trade association for the UK energy industry.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. At Simmons & Simmons, we seek to provide legal services according to the highest ethical and professional standards and we take our responsibilities to our clients, our people, our suppliers and the communities in which we do business seriously. We are proud of our culture of corporate responsibility (CR) which seeks to govern how we operate, how we interact with clients and each other, and how we participate in our local communities. Read more at simmons-simmons.com/CR/