Firm Advises on Award Winning Deal of the Year, 'Facility D'
21 Dec 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons advised Mitsubishi Corporation and TEPCO on the 2,400MW/130MIGD Facility D independent water and power project in Qatar in April of this year, since which time the project has been awarded Project Finance International Award 2016 for PPP Deal of the Year for the Middle East and Africa regions.
This significant project was the first of its kind in Qatar to utilise reverse osmosis technology on a large-scale, and the first privately financed IWPP in Qatar to involve an international developer since the Ras Laffan C plant reached financial close in 2009.
Earlier in the year, Simmons & Simmons won its own award for ‘Facility D’ at the Project Finance Deal of the Year IFLR Middle East Awards 2016
The development of the project is unique as it has been fast-tracked by the Qatari government as part of its national development strategy designed to meet growing demand for water and power ahead of the Qatar 2022 world cup.
Adrian Nizzola, lead partner for this project at the firm, commented, “We are delighted to hear that Facility D has received industry recognition for its innovative game changing technology, and internally our team is proud to have worked on this often exciting and challenging project. This deal is incredibly unique and we are proud to be associated with such a ground breaking project”.
To find out more about the work the firm undertook on this innovative project, please refer to an earlier press release, here.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
3. Simmons & Simmons has worked in the Middle East for more than 30 years. The firm has two offices in the UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai) which opened in 1994 and 2005 respectively. The Doha office opened in 2003 and we were the first international law firm to be granted a licence to operate independently in Qatar with permission to advise on both Qatar and international law matters. In Saudi Arabia, Simmons & Simmons is in alliance with Hammad & Al-Mehdar, the leading Saudi Arabian law firm which has offices in Riyadh and Jeddah.
4. Our multi-disciplinary team brings together specialists in project finance, public procurement, tax, environmental law, construction, real estate, regulation and competition, allowing us to offer our clients a totally integrated service. We have a strong projects capability across a broad range of industry sectors, and have particular expertise in Private Finance Initiative (PFI) and Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects, transport, aerospace and defence, telecoms, and energy and utilities (including mining & minerals and petrochemicals).
5. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
6. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on +44 20 7825 3134 or at email@example.com
, or Lauryn McKinney, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org