Firm Advises Gangtai Group Corporation Limited on Euro 230m Acquisition of Buccellati
09 Jan 2017
International law firm Simmons & Simmons advised Gangtai Group Corporation Limited (Gangtai Group), a leading private owned conglomerate from China, on the acquisition of an 85% stake of Buccellati Holding Italia S.p.A., a prestigious Italian luxury jewellery brand with close to 100 years of history. The equity value of the transaction is approximately Euro 230m.
On 23 December 2016, Gansu Gangtai Holding (Group) Co., Ltd. (Gangtai Holding), a controlled subsidiary of Gangtai Group that is listed in the Shanghai Stock Exchange has announced a plan to inject the Buccellati business into Gangtai Holding. The transaction, which is still subject to conditions precedent, will introduce Buccellati into one of the most important Chinese groups of the jewellery business with a plan to expand the brand globally.
Commenting on the transaction, partner Eric Lin, said: "Simmons & Simmons is delighted to have advised Gangtai Group on this high profile Chinese M&A transaction in Italy. It was our sustained team efforts from our Beijing, Milan, Paris and London offices that pushed the deal over the line."
Dario Spinella, corporate partner based in Milan, added: “The experience of our China Desk team in Italy, together with the synergy of our international team who worked across four jurisdictions, contributed to the success of this transaction. Our knowledge in managing Sino-European M&A deals is continuously growing and appreciated on the market.”
Zhou Feng, the vice chairman of Gangtai Holding, commented: "This transaction marks an exciting development for Gangtai Holding. We are hugely appreciative of the first class professional advice we received from the Simmons & Simmons team throughout the process."
The joint Italian-Chinese team was led by Dario Spinella, partner based in Milan, and Eric Lin, partner based in Beijing, assisted by senior associate Carlotta Robbiano and associate Paolo Guarneri based in Milan and associate Megan Wang based in Beijing.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. Clients of our corporate practice include national and multinational corporations, leading financial institutions, asset managers and investment funds, governments and industry bodies. With a team of over 250 corporate lawyers based across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we are known for handling complex and innovative domestic and cross-border transactions. Core areas of focus for the UK corporate practice include mergers & acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and strategic alliances, demergers and corporate restructurings, auction sales, investments by hedge funds, commercial and consumer law, corporate governance and general corporate advisory. The ability to service clients operating in highly regulated markets is a common theme across all our work.
5. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on +44 20 7825 3134 or at email@example.com
, or Lauryn McKinney, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org