For information about emails purporting to be from Patrick Wallace, please click here.
Patrick is an energy and infrastructure lawyer with many years of experience of power, oil and gas and infrastructure work. He acts on a wide range of transactions, covering projects, joint ventures, private M&A and asset acquisitions, privatisations, commercial contracts and trading and regulatory work. He has a broad-ranging practice both in the UK and internationally, where he has particularly strong experience in Central and Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia.
Patrick’s power sector expertise includes thermal, nuclear, and renewables generation, transmission, supply and distribution and emissions trading. He was heavily involved in establishing the UK power market at privatisation and in its subsequent reform; and he has worked on many major power projects and acquisitions in the UK, mainland Europe, Africa and Asia since the early 1990s.
Patrick's other energy and natural resource experience includes oil and gas pipelines, refineries, supply contracts, oil and gas acquisitions and mining and water sector transactions.
Patrick has also been involved in many large projects in the infrastructure, transport, public services, defence and other sectors, both internationally and under the UK’s private finance initiative and public private partnership programmes.
Patrick is regularly named by directories as a leading energy lawyer. Legal 500 has described him as "a very well-respected all-rounder" and "a great asset in difficult negotiations". Chambers has said he is "very hands-on" and "clearly excellent and knowledgeable".
- Recent Work
- African power projects: project counsel on Dibamba and Kribi, the first project financed independent power projects in Cameroon
- the Nabucco Gas Pipeline project: project counsel advising the sponsors on a major new pipeline which will carry gas from Turkey, through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Austria to supply Europe as a whole
- nuclear power: advising on the development of the new privately financed Visaginas/Ignalina nuclear power project in Lithuania, advising a bidder on the UAE's nuclear power programme and advising on new nuclear power stations in the UK
- UK power project: advising a consortium of energy companies on the develoment of a gas fired power station near Milford Haven in the UK
- renewables projects: advising on the development and sale of wind and solar projects in various parts of the world.
Patrick is qualified as an English solicitor, speaks native English and fluent French and German and holds law degrees from London, Paris and Harvard Universities. He is a member of the firm’s board and co-head of its Africa practice. Before joining Simmons & Simmons as a partner in 2007, Patrick spent over 20 years at another international law firm, including 15 years as a partner and a period managing its Frankfurt office.