Climate Change Litigation
Bringing in civil, criminal and regulatory experience, the team at Simmons & Simmons provides exemplary service across the full range of climate change litigation issues. This expertise is increasingly important for clients, with the heightened awareness of environmental issues, and the impact of new legislation, having contributed greatly to a rise in disputes.
Our clients benefit from our dedicated team’s specialist expertise in:
- judicial review and planning inquiries into the delivery of projects with major climate change implications
- protestor action and strategies for working with NGOs
- advising on issues in relation to the EU ETS including judicial review proceedings.
We have acted for major international companies in climate change related litigation, including:
- the entire oil industry on challenging licenses for the exploration of hydrocarbons
- a large Trade Association on Phase 2 NAP of EU ETS including judicial review proceedings
- on a potential ICC arbitration arising from a sale of carbon credits
- on summary proceedings against grid operator relating to the refusal to permit connections for wind farms and a refusal to share metering data for a windfarm connected to a private grid
- a major EU energy group in litigation proceedings in relation to the purchase of a biogas plant.