Our team comprises leading litigators, many with technical backgrounds, that have unrivalled experience of litigating patents before national courts (including at appeal and supreme court level) and the European Patent Office in technical fields such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, telecommunications, electronics, chemicals and engineering.
We have been at the forefront of changes in patent law and practice for over 40 years and our practitioners continue to lead the way currently advising on the establishment of, and the rules governing, the proposed Unified Patent Litigation System (UPLS) in Europe. All of our partners are listed in the main legal directories.
The strength, depth and reach of our practice; our ability to work as a tightly-knit, collaborative international team, providing both legal and strategic advice with the sole aim of achieving our clients' objectives, sets us apart from our competitors and is the key to our success.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- conducting and co-ordinating national and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation
- obtaining interim injunctions
- oppositions and other matters before the EPO and national patent offices
- opinions on patent validity and infringement
- customs detention strategies.
Recent team accolades include:
- Clients say the team is packed with lawyers who "have an incredibly sound grasp of the big picture; they always strive to look beyond the horizon." Chambers 2012
- Sources say: "The service is excellent; we were really satisfied. The team's business understanding is very good, and the lawyers are very fast if necessary. They have all the necessary expertise in-house." Chambers Global 2011
- A "brilliantly reliable, accessible" team. Legal 500 2011
- "It is absolutely top-notch, the best firm I have worked with", says an IP client of Simmons & Simmons. MIP World Survey 2011
- A “seriously strong player” in the field. The team's “depth of knowledge, business perspective on cases and ability to handle matters spanning numerous jurisdictions” wins admiration. IAM Patent Litigation 250 2011
The Unified Patent Court will eventually have exclusive jurisdiction over all European Patents and new European Patents with Unitary Effect.
Click here for more information