We have an alliance with leading US firm Seward & Kissel LLP for hedge fund and asset management work. The alliance combines the strength of pre-eminent hedge fund and asset management practices in London, New York and Hong Kong to offer a top tier combined service for hedge funds and their managers around the world. Clients have immediate access to full service hedge fund and asset management expertise: from fund formation and management, to all advisory services such as regulation, derivatives, corporate structures, tax, litigation, employment, IP, finance, government investigations and transactional services.
- best Onshore Law Firm - Client Service at the HFM European Hedge Fund Services Awards 2017 and 2016
- best Regulatory Practice at the Hedge Fund Journal Awards 2017 and 2016
- best Law Firm for Asset Management at the AsianInvestor Asset Management Awards 2017 and 2016
- Asset Management Team of the Year at the Financial News Awards for Excellence in Legal Services 2016
- best Onshore Law Firm at the HFM European Hedge Fund Services Awards 2016
- ranked in tier 1 for Hedge Funds in Chambers & Partners 2017
The following are some examples of our recent transactions:
Anacap Financial Partners LLP
Apax Europe V Fund
advising on the launch of a range of CTA products, including offshore hedge funds, UCITS funds, single-investor funds and managed accounts
BlueCrest Capital Management
Boussard & Gavaudan
Capula Investment Management
advising Gilde and other shareholders in the management buy-out of Grozette, Axxicon, Hevea, Curtec, Bakkerij Bart and Johma Signature
Mandarin Capital Fund
Oak Investment Partners
Sun Capital Partners
advising and assisting affilitates of Sun Capital Partners, Inc on the Hong Kong, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian and Indian aspects of their acquisition of the Performance Fibers Business from Honeywell International Inc.
A leading life sciences private equity house
A range of clients
advising a range of clients, including independent fund managers as well as fund management arms of global banking groups, on private equity and real estate fund formation and related carried interest and co-invest incentive arrangements
advising institutional investors on their commitments to private equity and real estate funds
advising various clients on restructuring their private equity fund management businesses, including by way of mergers and joint ventures.
The core asset management team is based in London and is led by 80 partners and supported by 105 associates and 30 other legal staff. The wider international team operates primarily from our network of international offices.
The focus of our practice is on the following key areas:
- Hedge funds – advising hedge fund managers on the full range of issues relevant to the launch and management of hedge funds and funds of hedge funds.
- Private equity funds – advising financial institutions and independent private equity managers on the full range of legal structuring and implementation issues relating to the formation of private equity funds and funds of private equity funds, and in relation to investing in private equity funds.
- Real estate and infrastructure funds – advising on all forms of property fund (closed- and open-ended, corporate and partnership, onshore and offshore) including specialist tax structuring.
- Listed closed-ended funds – advising asset managers and fund sponsors in relation to the launch and restructuring of closed-ended funds (including investment trusts).
- Retail funds – advising asset managers on the launch, restructuring, promotion and operation of UK unit trusts and open-ended investment companies (OEICs), UCITS funds (including Luxembourg and Irish funds) and other funds available for promotion to the public.
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) – advising on the full range of issues relevant to the launch and management of ETFs.
We advise Asset Management & Investment fund firms on the full range of financial services regulatory matters, including advising on all aspects of compliance with applicable regulatory requirements as well as strategic regulatory issues relating to such matters as business reorganisations and start-ups, fund marketing and short selling, often involving a cross-border element.
We advise the user side of the derivative market on products including bespoke structures and high-volume products as well as general advice on the full range of exchange-traded and over-the-counter products (eg ISDAs and repurchase agreements).
Focusing on mergers and acquisitions, ownership structures and IPOs of client businesses in this sector, we have significant experience of buying and selling asset management companies and businesses (including strategic stakes) and private equity transactions.
Tax and other issues
We regularly involve our specialists in tax, litigation, property, employment, intellectual property, IT, data protection and insurance law to advise our clients.
Simmons & Simmons navigator is our sector-leading online subscription service covering key areas of financial services and tax regulation.
Investigations can be triggered by any number of events, but there is a range of issues that will need to be considered at the outset in every investigation.
Visit our PRIIPs microsite for the key implications for asset managers and financial institutions.