The team advises governmental authorities, industry participants and financial institutions on water projects, oil and gas exploration, energy production, mining projects, processing, refining and sale and purchase agreements, energy regulation, energy trading and derivatives, power, petrochemicals, technology licencing, renewable energy, emissions trading, PFI/PPP, M&A, capital raisings and dispute resolution matters. We also advise on infrastructure projects in various sectors including construction, defence, transport and waste. We are praised for "depth of experience, maturity and pragmatism" in Legal 500.
- advising one of the power companies involved in the project to develop a new privately financed nuclear power station to replace the existing Ignalina plant in Lithuania.
- advising Acciona Energia on the acquisition of the Moura solar power plant in the Alentejo in Portugal which, when constructed, will be the largest solar power plant in the world.
- advising the four major shareholders (representing 72%) of Holland’s largest energy company Essent in relation to the proposed €25bn merger with Nuon.
Oil & Gas
- advising on the US $850m reserve-based financing and US $850m reserve-based refinancing of the acquisition of Rally Energy Corp, an oil and gas company with assets in Pakistan and Egypt, formerly listed on the Toronto and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges.
Nabucco Gas Pipeline
- advising the project company on a Turkey to Austria gas pipeline, which will go through five countries. The sponsors of this €5bn project include OMV, RWE, MOL, Tranzgas, Botas and Bulgargaz.
- advising the Algerian national oil and gas company in relation to the liquified natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal at the Isle of Grain in Kent, England.
- advising on three major PFI projects totalling approximately £30bn: the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft Project worth £13bn (the largest single UK project financing to date); the Defence Training Review worth £11bn, and the Military Flying Training System project worth £6bn.
- advising the Roads and Transport Authority, Dubai on the letting of an Operation and Maintenance Concession Agreement for the Red and Green Lines for the new Dubai Metro. The US$4.25bn Dubai Metro project is a driverless and fully automated light rail project. With a total length of over 70km, including 47 stations, the Dubai Metro will be the longest fully automated rail project in the world when it opens in 2009.
International sponsor client
- advising on the innovative Derbyshire PPP waste management contract for an international sponsor client.
- acting as international counsel to the commercial and Islamic lenders on the $650m project financing of the Ras Abu Fontas A1 desalination project in Qatar, the first desalination project in Qatar to incorporate an Islamic debt tranche
- acting for Veolia Water UK on their aquisition of selected non-regulated assets from Thames Water Plc.