Delivering effective and affordable healthcare represents a substantial challenge for mature and emerging economies alike. The independent sector plays an increasingly key role in delivering publicly funded (as well as privately funded) care, and working in partnership with the public sector to address the complex needs of ageing populations on one hand and the spiralling costs of innovative treatments and medical technology on the other.
To take advantage of the significant opportunities in the health and care space, investors must consider commercial return in the context of demanding contracts with commissioners of care, stringent regulations, the wellbeing of those in their care and reputational risk.
Our healthcare team operates across Europe, the Middle East and Asia and has developed a reputation for handling complex and innovative transactions. We regularly represent financial institutions and asset managers (including private equity funds), as well as operators and other corporates, active in the sector.
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Cygnet Health Care on its banking facilities
- General Healthcare Group which is the landlord of the UK’s largest private hospital group (BMI) with total liabilities exceeding £2bn, in connection with negotiations with its creditors on its restructuring
- Deutsche Wohnen AG on the acquisition of a nursing home portfolio from the LebensWerk group
- Alliance Medical Diagnostic S.r.l. in respect of the acquisition of a control stake in the corporate capital of Villa Fiorita Diagnostica S.r.l., a newco developing a medical centre in the Province of Perugia providing inter alia MRI and radiology services under the convention regime with the Italian National Health Service
- Gilde Healthcare Services on the investments in Dutch occupational health company VerzuimReductie BV and Dutch physiotherapy chain Fysius Back Clinics BV
- Cleveland Clinic on its management of Sheikh Khalifa Medical City as well as drafting and negotiating service and procurement contracts.