Internationally, organisations continue to outsource logistics functions to professional third parties in order to enhance service delivery and margins. Third party providers are currently attempting to establish an appropriate balance of risk and reward in the negotiation of outsourcing contracts.
Global logistics players have enhanced their service offering through technology innovations and continued streamlining of their international distribution networks. While gearing towards EU enlargement, the application of EC customs and VAT regulations in the new member-states has become an emerging issue among the logistics community.
We advise governments, multinational corporations and others procuring or outsourcing their logistics needs. We also advise logistics service providers in all their areas of business as well as other providers to the logistics industry including underwriters, insurance/customs brokers and commodity traders. Our experience covers a diverse range of cargo, from oil and construction materials, newspapers and foodstuffs, to cash and military personnel. Our team includes transport sector specialists who continually practice in the logistics industry on all risk and operational issues across all modalities and help our clients implement concepts such as supply chain management, continuous replenishment and value added logistics.
- advising Booker plc on the long term supply to the Ministry of Defence of its global forces’ food needs, including warehousing and distribution.
- advising British Airways on the outsourcing of its engineering stores and logistics operation for aircraft parts to BAX Global.
Dutch National Ports Council
- survey of customs and other border inspections and implementations of relevant EC legislation and practice in Netherlands Seaports for the Dutch National Ports Council, the four Dutch seaports and trade associations.
Europe Combined Terminals
- acting for Hutchinson Whampoa, ABN AMRO Bank and Rotterdam Municipal Port Management in the acquisition of Europe Combined Terminals B.V. (ECT), the largest European container terminal operator and container stevedoring company.
European distribution centre
- acting for a joint venture comprising one of the world’s largest container carriers and one of the Netherlands’ largest physical distributors in the negotiation and drafting of an agreement with a large sportswear manufacturer to establish a European distribution centre.
- advising on the divestment of Hanno Rotterdam, one of the largest container terminal operators in Rotterdam.
- advising Interbrew UK on the outsourcing of its secondary logistics functions.
- negotiations in respect of the long term lease agreements between various parties active in the port area and RMPM (owner of all port related lands).
Logistics service providers
- advising a logistics service provider, distributing magazines to subscribers through the largest alternative distribution network in the Netherlands, on the acquisition of shares, drafting and negotiating the service agreements and on benchmark-procedures
- advising and representing an international logistics service provider in the take-over of several distribution centres serving international clothing retailer chains, manufacturers of household goods and footwear
- advising a logistics operator on setting up a chain of cross-docking/short-term storage stations across Europe.
- advising a consortium of newspapers on the outsourcing of their supply and distribution logistics arrangements.
Port of Flushing
- advising on the privatisation of the port management at the Port of Flushing.
Royal Dutch Mail
- acting for Royal Dutch Mail in the negotiation and drafting of a logistics agreement with the Dutch central bank for the distribution of Euro-coins throughout the Netherlands.
Shoe and apparel manufacturer
- advising a major US shoe and apparel manufacturer with regard to replacement of its logistics service provider.
UK Ministry of Defence
- advising the UK Ministry of Defence on proposed partnering options for the Future Defence Supply Chain Initiative project, a £4bn tri-service PPP with industry for an integrated defence supply chain service for the storage, distribution, transport and supply of all materials, supplies, equipment, vehicles and munitions for the whole of the armed forces.
- advising Unitor SA, the world’s leading service provider to the international merchant fleet and shipbuilding industry, on its joint venture logistics arrangements entered into with BP Oil International.
Specialist areas of our logistics practice include:
- we advise on all forms of logistics-related contracts, including those for logistics management, inventory management, warehousing, consolidation, distribution, freight forwarding and carriage
- we structure major private sector procurements, outsourcings, joint ventures and other alliances and restructure logistics operations and distribution centres
- we provide advice on logistics tendering procedures and have in-depth experience of pricing mechanisms directed at service delivery, and performance monitoring and remedies, through the supply chain
- we also advise on customs approved treatments, customs procedures and VAT in logistic services.
Competition and regulation
- we advise on all competition issues relating to the operation of logistics and transport services including access to network capacity
- we have wide regulatory experience of all aspects of the logistics and transport sectors including transport licences, access agreements, and advise and work with governments, regulatory bodies, investors and operators.
Real estate and construction
- we advise on all aspects of logistics development, investment and management
- we have detailed knowledge of planning law and unrivalled knowledge of leases and concession arrangements
- we also have a leading construction practice with in-depth experience of the construction issues relevant to the transport sector including performance bonds, guarantees and insurance arrangements.
- we advise on project finance, structured finance and export finance arrangements. This includes debt and equity funding, including high value bond issues, and public sector grants.
- our asset finance and leasing practice focuses on the financing of big ticket assets delivering off-balance sheet operating leases, leveraged leases, export credit finance and asset backed securitisations
- we also advise on project related insurance and reinsurance issues and disputes.
Employment, benefits and health and safety
- we provide advice in contracting out situations, executive terminations, industrial action, contracts and secondment arrangements, as well as carrying out employment audits, reviewing and commenting on existing employment documentation
- we also advise clients on health & safety issues in the various parts of the logistics and transport sectors.
- we are involved in the full range of corporate transactions, including acquisition and disposal of ‘going concern’ logistics operations and distribution facilities, restructuring of logistic operations and distribution centres, flotations and the formation of innovative special purpose vehicles.
- we advise on IT systems for supply chain management, setting up websites, software licences and all IT-related matters for the logistics sector.
- we offer a full dispute resolution service including adjudication, arbitration, litigation, mediation and other ADR processes.