Advising Concordia Healthcare on US$3.5bn Transformational Deal
10 Sep 2015
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised Concordia Healthcare on its agreement with Cinven, a leading European private equity firm, to acquire Amdipharm Mercury Limited (“AMCo”) for approximately US$3.5bn.
Simmons & Simmons advised Concordia Healthcare on IP, pharmaceutical regulatory, pensions and employment law in the UK and the Netherlands.
Simmons & Simmons’ advice on the IP and regulatory integrity of the contractual matrix underlying AMCo’s key products was a vital component of the transaction, which is expected to transform Concordia’s growth platform. The deal provides Concordia with a well-diversified niche portfolio, as well as entry into new therapeutic areas such as endocrinology, ophthalmology and urology.
Advice from the team at Simmons & Simmons was led by partner Angus McLean, assisted by fellow IP partners Richard Binns and Michael Gavey, as well as associates Lydia Torne, Nicola Walles, James Agnew, Adrian Dykes and trainee solicitor Ahmed Alani, on the IP and pharmaceutical regulatory aspects in the UK. Dutch IP and regulatory advice was provided by Machteld Hiemstra, Heleen Biesheuvel and Paul Tjiam in the firm’s Amsterdam office.
UK pensions and Incentives advice was also provided by partners Danny Tsang and Ian Fraser, supported by associates Ed Smith, Emma Richardson and Bronwyn Colgan, with associates Anna Shelley and Peter Lockwood advising on UK employment law aspects.
Commenting on the transaction, Angus McLean, said: ‘‘This was an exciting transaction on which we were delighted to deliver value to Concordia and assist the future growth of its business, through our extensive life sciences sector expertise and top tier intellectual property and employment practices.’’
Concordia’s Vice President, Legal Affairs, Francesco Tallarico, commented: ‘‘We instructed Simmons & Simmons firstly on the strength of their reputation for advising life sciences businesses on complex IP and regulatory matters. Their knowledge and advice was invaluable in this transaction and they continue to deliver a first class service on all fronts. We look forward to working with them again.’’
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- Simmons & Simmons is recognised worldwide as a pre-eminent law firm for Life Sciences. Our international team advises many of the world's leading pharma, biotech, medical device and healthcare companies, including: many of the largest global pharmaceutical companies, some of the world's fastest growing biotechs, leading medical devices manufacturers, private and public healthcare establishments and service providers and household names in consumer healthcare. The life sciences group comprises over 120 lawyers (many with bioscience and pharma law qualifications), dedicated sector analysts and external industry consultants. Our lawyers are active members of, and frequently consulted by, industry associations around the world.
- Concordia was also advised by Fasken Martineau (IP and pharmaceutical regulatory law advice in Canada and South Africa, as well as Corporate Finance and Banking advice on the wider transaction) and Clayton Utz and Trilegal (Employment advice in Australia and India respectively). Sullivan & Cromwell advised on the M&A and Corporate Finance aspects of the transaction in the UK.
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com