Firm Advises the Government of Somaliland on Port Concession with DP World
08 Sep 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised the Government of Somaliland on their 30 year concession and joint venture arrangements with DP World for the management and development of the Port of Berbera. The development arrangements will involve an investment of US$442 million in the Port of Berbera with the intention of transforming the existing port into a key logistics hub in the region and a new point of access to the Red Sea.
Paul Bugingo, the client partner and co-chair of the firm’s Africa group, added: "We are delighted to have been involved in this historic project which is a further example of the increased interest and investment appetite in this region of Africa. Simmons & Simmons was appropriately positioned to advise on this project by drawing on its Dubai presence, its wide Africa expertise and its leading global infrastructure practice".
David Risbridger, lead partner, added “This was a challenging project carried out over a highly ambitious timeframe and required real team work, exemplary project management skills and a detailed understanding of port projects in the context of East Africa. Our team, working together with local counsel, Ibrahim Abdirahman of Acacia Capital Holdings successfully helped deliver critical infrastructure in a timely and professional manner for the benefit of the Somaliland people. We are proud of our involvement in the project and look forward to further work with the Somaliland Government.”
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by partner David Risbridger, assisted by partners Paul Bugingo, Adrian Nizzola, James Coleman and associate Sam Khajeei.
Notes to editors
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the energy & infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. Simmons & Simmons has been operating in Africa for over 20 years. The Africa practice spans its entire network across Europe, the Middle East and Asia. A core of experienced lawyers working from many of the firm’s international offices allows coverage of Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries across the continent. Simmons & Simmons has an alliance for Africa work with international firm Fasken Martineau, which has an office in Johannesburg. The firm has also signed non-exclusive alliance agreements with Kampala Associated Advocates (KAA) in Uganda, KSK Société d’Avocats (KSK) in Côte d’Ivoire, and also have associations in Mozambique, Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Sao Tome & Principe*. This gives Simmons & Simmons a footprint in eight jurisdictions in Africa and a strong boost to its offering in Africa.
6. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com