Firm Expands Private Funds and Africa Practices With Partner Hire
09 Jan 2017
International law firm Simmons & Simmons will expand its international financial markets group with the appointment of Cindy Valentine who joins the firm’s financial services practice as a partner.*
Cindy joins the firm from King & Wood Mallesons, where she was co-head of the firm’s Africa Group, on 09 January. Her experience covers a wide range of international funds, including large buyout and mid-market funds, renewable energy, venture funds, fund of funds, real estate and emerging market funds. She works on the private equity aspects of corporate finance including private investment funds structuring, fund raising, co-investment arrangements and management buyouts.
Jonathan Hammond, head of the firm’s financial institutions sector and financial markets group, said: “Cindy is a key addition to our market leading financial services practice and her appointment is a demonstration of our strong commitment to building on our strengths.”
David Williams, private funds partner in London, continued: “Our private funds practice is going from strength to strength. Cindy’s practice, including her work for major infrastructure fund manager clients and her African expertise, is a great fit with our existing strengths. Cindy brings yet more capability to the private funds team and we are delighted she has decided to join us”.
Paul Bugingo, a co-chair of the firm’s Africa group, added: “We consistently look for ways to expand upon the firm’s extensive experience in Africa and Cindy’s focus on the asset management & investment funds sector, and her wealth of local knowledge will be a real boost for our practice.”
*Subject to standard regulatory approvals.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. Simmons & Simmons has a highly specialised international asset management and investment funds team. We have experts in fund formation, financial services regulation, trading documentation (including prime brokerage and derivatives documentation), corporate structuring and transactions, litigation, taxation, ICT and employment regulation. We have an in-depth understanding of the asset management industry. Last year we were named ‘Leading Law Firm’ at the Hedge Fund Journal Awards 2015 for the fifth consecutive year and more recently we were named ‘Asset Management Team of the Year’ at the Financial News Legal Awards 2016.
5. Simmons & Simmons has worked in all 54 of the Africa nations and has been operating in Africa for over 20 years. We advise on a huge variety of projects, including mining and natural resources; energy and infrastructure projects; telecoms and corporate deals; as well as finance and project finance transactions and disputes. The Africa practice spans the entire network across Europe, the Middle East and Asia. A core of experienced lawyers, working from many of the firm’s international offices, provides coverage of Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries across the continent, meaning that language barriers are overcome with ease.
6. Our international financial markets practice advises many of the world’s leading financial institutions and corporates on a wide range of financial markets products. We deal with the most complex and groundbreaking work – work that involves thinking flexibly combined with a real understanding of our clients.
7. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on +44 20 7825 3134 or email email@example.com
, or Lauryn McKinney, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org