Legalcommunity Finance Awards win
05 Mar 2018
Paola Leocani wins Debt Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year.
On 1 March 2018 Simmons & Simmons partner, Paola Leocani won the prestigious “Debt Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year” prize at the LegalCommunity Finance Awards 2018’s ceremony, held in Milan.
LegalCommunity is one of the leading Italian benchmark publications, its annual awards scheme honours excellence in the Italian legal market through a jury including over 30 business leaders.
Paola was given this award as she was described by the LegalCommunity as: “an absolute market leader” and ”the best for debt capital markets”.
Recent high profile mandates Paola has led include the assistance to:
- the banks on the Republic of Italy’s buy-back for the record amount of €4.2bn of its €22.418bn BTP Italia issuance, the largest sovereign bond in Europe at time of writing;
- Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane as issuer on its inaugural €600m green bond; and
- the leading role on the first sustainable bonds issued by the World Bank Group in Italy.
Paola commented: “I am very pleased to receive this prestigious prize also on behalf of our well integrated team based in Milan and across offices. This represents a strong recognition of our excellent offering in the DCM field at both a domestic and international level, tying up with our international network to advise clients on multi-jurisdictional mandates, with many transactions involving other European jurisdictions.”
Paola’s other recent accolades include:
- winning the prestigious “Capital Markets Professional of the Year” prize at the TopLegal Awards 2017;
- a mention in Legalcommunity’s published list of the “Best 50 lawyers in Italy” for 2017. Paola was among only four female lawyers included. As reported by the publication: “she is the queen of Debt Capital Markets in Italy”.
- Simmons & Simmons’ winning DCM practice was awarded “Debt Capital Markets Law Firm of the Year” at the Legalcommunity’s Finance Awards 2017.