Alexander is the head of the firm's technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) sector and a partner in the Information, Communications & Technology Group in our London Office.
He advises on outsourcing and commercial ICT contracts for users and suppliers of ICT products and services. He also has a particular specialism in data protection and privacy. His experience includes handling large scale, complex outsourcings (both IT and business process), software development, licensing and maintenance, telecoms supply and procurement contracts, major commercial contracts for the supply of goods and services and assisting clients in a variety of industries on all aspects of privacy compliance.
Alex is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- acting for Telefónica on its landmark £1.2bn contact centre outsourcing to Capita, one of the biggest outsourcings of its type in the UK. Alexander also advised Telefónica on its pan-European finance and accounting outsourcing to Genpact and on the sale of the Airwave business for approximately £2bn
- advising Virgin Media for over a decade on a range of large scale commercial matters. Work highlights include advising on the £100m outsourcing of the operations and maintenance of its telecoms network to BT Wholesale and the outsourcing of Virgin Media's supply and delivery chain to Kuehne + Nagel. Alexander also advised Virgin Media on the licensing of the TiVo technology and also on the provision of wholesale telecoms services to support the Everything Everywhere and 3 mobile services
- advising Barclays on a number of important technology and outsourcing transactions including the outsourcing of its funds administration and management services to Bank of New York Mellon, its negotiation of a global media agency contract, cash / valuables transit agreements, ATM hardware and software contracts and payment processing platform licences
- advising TiVo on technology licence deals with ONO in Spain and Canal Digital and Com Hem in respect of Scandinavia
- advising a number of large companies and a Government department on data security breaches, data protection related complaints and enforcement action brought by the Information Commissioner's Office
- advising a number of multi national companies on multi jurisdictional data protection compliance projects dealing with issues such as global transfers of data, bank secrecy, data retention, data security and electronic marketing.
Alexander trained with Simmons & Simmons, qualified in 1999 and was made a partner in 2007. Alexander has been recognised by Chambers, Legal 500 and other directories as an expert in the fields of telecommunications, IT, outsourcing, e-commerce and data protection. He has been recognised as one of the leading IT lawyers by ThomsonReuters’ “SuperLawyers 2013” survey.
Clients have described Alexander as “a real genius, providing practical, helpful advice” (Chambers UK, 2013).