Benedict advises various onshore and offshore open-ended and closed-end collective investment schemes, including hedge funds, venture capital funds, private equity funds and hybrid funds and their managers on all aspects of fund formation.
He regularly advises asset managers on registration requirements for both private and retail funds in Singapore including the availability and conditions attached to various “safe harbours” from the offering rules under Singapore law.
Benedict also has extensive experience advising asset managers seeking to establish their business in Singapore on various legal and regulatory issues, including registration and licensing requirements and related ongoing compliance matters.
He also regularly advises asset managers and other financial institutions on share disclosure requirements and other legal and regulatory issues pertinent to their business such as employment and data protection.
- Recent Work
- advising on the structuring and formation of multiple Cayman Islands domiciled hedge funds
- advising the Singapore office of a French investment management group on the establishment of a guaranteed fund under an umbrella unit trust scheme
- advising a Singapore based VC fund manager on the establishment of a Fintech fund
- advising various domestic and foreign asset managers in the establishment and licensing or registration of their fund management operations in Singapore as well as various ongoing compliance issues
- advising various foreign asset managers on their marketing activities in Singapore, in particular, the conditions for licensing and registration of their collective investment schemes for offers in Singapore
- advising a Singapore university on its investment in a “first loss” fund arrangement
- advising various asset managers on share disclosure requirements under Singapore law.
Benedict was admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2013.
Previously, he worked in another leading “big four” domestic law firm in Singapore where he also specialised in investment funds and regulatory work. He is fluent in English and Malay Language.
He has contributed to articles to Expert Guides – Banking, Finance and Transactional Law 2016 and Lexis Practical Guidance.