Carl’s practice focuses on corporate and financial law. He has over 25 years experience in advising Belgian and international corporate clients, private equity funds and financial institutions in a broad range of both domestic and cross-border transactions (including real estate transactions).
He works across a variety of sectors and is referred to in all major legal directories.
Carl is an “advocaat” at the Brussels Bar and works in English, Dutch and French.
- Recent Work
- advising an international energy company on the purchase of a major gas and electricity supplier in Belgium
- advising a leading international waste-to-product company on its merger with a major Benelux recycling group
- advising an international bank as secured creditor in the second largest shareholder in SAB Miller on the Inbev-SAB MIller merger
- advising a Japanese conglomerate on the purchase and development of a major industrial site in the Brussels area
- advising a UK private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of a Belgian listed company through a leveraged take-private transaction in Belgium
- advising an international private equity fund on the primary (and secondary) buy-out of a leading Belgian industrial company
- advising one of the world’s leading supply chain companies in establishing a pan-European account receivable securitisation program
- advising a consortium of international banks in their financing of the LBO of a leading Belgian technology player.
Carl joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in the Brussels office in late 2016. Prior to that, he was a partner for 18 years (of which ten years as Managing Partner) at another major international law firm in Brussels.
Carl leads both the corporate & commercial and financial markets practices in Belgium.