Cherie is a lawyer in our London office and a member of the firm's Crime, Fraud & Investigations Group. She has significant experience in advising financial institutions and international corporations on extradition and high profile fraud and corruption investigations in both the UK and internationally, including those run by the UK Serious Fraud Office. Cherie is a lead member of Simmons & Simmons’ sanctions team advising professionals and corporations on compliance with UK and EU sanctions regimes and on technical money laundering issues, including disclosure obligations, and on implementation of worldwide anti money laundering procedures. Cherie has spent time on secondment to the legal department of an international energy company advising on anti corruption and anti money laundering compliance issues.
- Recent Work
- advising companies on implications of EU and UK sanctions against Russia, Libya and Iran
- advising on an investigation by the SFO, DOJ, SEC and FRC into alleged accounting irregularities
- advising on a high profile corruption investigation in the UK and overseas involving the SFO, DOJ and other international enforcement authorities
- conducting an investigation on behalf of a regulatory body into potential misconduct by one of its members
- advising in relation to investigations by the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, the Leveson inquiry and police investigations into the News of the World
- advising an international energy company on its anti bribery compliance programme.
Cherie trained at a leading specialist fraud and white collar crime practice and joined Simmons & Simmons as an associate in November 2007.
Cherie regularly provides training on developments in the anti money laundering, sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption regimes. She is joint author of the money laundering chapter in Cordery on Legal Services (Lexis Nexis) and a contributor to A Practitioner’s Guide to UK Money Laundering Law and Regulation (City & Financial).
Cherie was Chairman of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association (YFLA) from October 2009 to September 2010 and is also a member of the Simmons team which won the FT Innovative Lawyers Award in 2011 for Innovation in anti bribery and corruption work.