David’s expertise is in transactional, advisory and regulatory work in the asset management and investment funds sector. David has a broad range of experience across the investment funds industry, but with a particular focus on the private funds arena, including matters relating to private equity, real estate, infrastructure, debt and other alternative asset classes.
David advises fund managers and promoters, as well as administrators, custodians and other service providers on the full range of investment funds and asset management matters. This includes fund structuring, formation and promotion, as well as the terms of investment management and other commercial agreements (whether in a fund or managed account context) as well as a host of operational and regulatory matters. He also regularly advises major institutional investors on the terms of their fund investments, highlighting legal risk issues and negotiating terms for all types of fund investments, managed accounts and similar structures.
- Recent Work
- advising a major hedge fund manager on the establishment of a $bn+ special situations credit fund structure, creating a sophisticated multi-tier, multi-vehicle fund.
- advising a large hedge fund manager on the establishment of a new secondaries-focussed fund structure and on a number of substantial secondary transactions in established private equity fund interests.
- advising on the formation and subsequent capital raising of Jon Moulton’s “Better Capital” fund structure, including advising on various matters relating to both the structure’s limited partnership master fund vehicles and to Better Capital LLP itself
- advising two US-based fund managers (thorough their UK operations) on the establishment of bespoke investment/JV structures for investment into UK real estate.
- advising a US/Kuwaiti backed, pan-European real estate fund on its structuring and formation, and subsequently on the establishment of investment-specific quasi-JV arrangements in respect of specific real estate acquisitions.
- advising a major European bank on the disposal of certain real estate securities in two multi-billion US$ deals.
- advising a global bank on regulatory matters affecting infrastructure investment holding structures, covering UK collective investment scheme and AIFMD issues.
- advising a European bank on various matters relating to its infrastructure fund structures and operations.
- advising a European bank on various trust and limited partnership investment structures in the real estate and real estate debt sector, together with providing financial services regulatory advice (including as to AIFMD implementation).
- advising major institutional (including sovereign wealth and IFI) investors on a number of investments across a range of fund types and structures, from participations in traditional commingled structures to more complex “mirror fund” arrangements.
David is based in the London office of Simmons & Simmons, and is a partner in the financial services group, a part of our financial markets department. David leads the private funds practice within that group.
David joined Simmons & Simmons from an international law firm, where he headed the UK investment funds team. David previously worked in the Cayman Islands office of a leading offshore law firm, and prior to that in the investment funds team at a magic circle firm.
David is cited in Chambers UK 2012 as being "strong both technically and commercially” and is highlighted for being “proactive, knowledgeable and responsive". He is also cited in the Legal 500 2013 and described as being “practical, delivers consistently and has the ability to think laterally".