Dr Dequan (Davis) Wang
With over 20+ years of experience, Davis is a veteran of the China legal industry participating both in the rapid rise of inbound investment into China, and more recently the flood of Chinese investors expanding abroad.
As Microsoft’s first in-house counsel in China, Davis is one of the leading TMT legal practitioners in China, with a long record of serving multinational Internet and technology companies, start-ups, venture capital and private equity investors, and telcos with their investments and operations in China.
Davis also devotes a big portion of his practice towards asset management and investment funds, advising on the formation of offshore funds, formation of RMB funds and private equity and venture capital direct investments in China and beyond.
Davis has also done numerous deals advising Chinese clients on investments in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia-Pacific.
Davis is ranked by Chambers in 2014 for his outstanding work in the TMT sector. Client notes that "he is always quick to react to things, and is efficient." He is also recommended in Legal 500 for PE & VC as well as Corporate and M&A. Owing to his depth of expertise and great client work, Simmons & Simmons was recognised as the Best Law Firm in Fund-Raising by 21st Century Business Herald in 2013.
- Recent Work
- advising Chinatex Corporation on the acquisition of controlling stake in HK listed Fountain Set (Holdings) Limited for HK$511m and the application to the Securities and Futures Commission for a Whitewash waiver
- advising China Railway Resources on its acquisition of a copper mining project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- advising Shandong Hi-speed Group on its acquisition of an AIM list company with gold mining assets in Fiji
- advising China National Council for Social Security Fund in connection with its RMB 2 bn investment, as a limited partner, into the first ever LLP form onshore RMB Fund managed by Lenovo Hony and CDH, respectively
- advising Adveq in connection with its formation of a China concept fund of funds
- advising Agriculture Bank of China International (ABCI) in connection with its various fund raising and cross boarder asset management business in mainland and Hong Kong
- advising China Investment Securities, a subsidiary of China Investment Corporation, in connection with the launch of its RQFII product and a Cayman domiciled hedge fund
- advising Coolpad Group Ltd, one of China’s leading handset manufacturers, with the establishment of companies in the European Union and regulatory advice on business operations, through instructing and managing local legal counsels in different jurisdictions.
- Funds Expertise
- advising SAIF Partners on its pre-IPO investment through the purchase of convertible bonds issued by a Hong Kong Company holding coal mining projects in Xinjiang Province
- advising Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers (KPCB) on its investment into an online catering portal, meican.com
- advising Aspect Capital, a London based hedge fund, in connection with its cooperation with domestic asset managers
- advising Mandarin Capital in a joint venture with Dagong Credit Rating Agency for a credit rating agency business to be established in Europe
- CDB Capital, on its first ever infrastructure fund created with investment from Xian Qujiang Development Company
- Xi’an High-tech Development Zone Management Committee, in connection with its investment into the respective non-legal person contractual joint venture fund managed by DFJ and Grand Asia
- CITIC Capital, in its formation of a club fund with Bright Food Group
- Keytone Ventures, as the lead investor and together with other reputable venture capital investors including Northern Light and Zero2IPO, in its venture investment into Zhongte Special Logistic Co. Ltd. a company offering special logistic services.
- TMT Expertise
- advising Reuters on its equity and strategic investment into Hexun.com, the most visited website providing financial news information in China
- advising Yahoo! in connection with Chinese regulatory issues concerning its equity stake in Alibaba Group and generally its business involving China
- advising China Telecom on a variety of capacity and ICT services agreements internationally (including Hong Kong and China), re-sale of services in China, and establishment of local branch offices throughout Asia
- advising Advanced Roaming Clearing House, a subsidiary of China Mobile, on data clearing services for its international telecom partners
- advising United States Golf Association with the preparation of commercial documentation for partnerships with other international golf associations, advice on trademark registration and data protection for each of its international sectional qualifying events to be held for the 2014 U.S. Open (in Japan, Korea, China, and the United Kingdom)
- advising Palo Alto Networks (NYSE: PANW) with regulatory advice and government approvals for the import of its firewall products into China
- advising China Unicom in connection with its 3G related commercial contracts, and strategic relationship with Apple to introduce iPhone in China
- advising eBay on regulatory issues in China associated with online payments
- advising Beijing Olympic Committee in connection with the intellectual property and commercial legal issues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Game Opening Ceremony.
As the China Country Head of Simmons & Simmons, Davis has responsibility for the operations of firm in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Prior to his time at Simmons & Simmons, Davis worked as a partner at King & Wood, a venture capitalist in Silicon Valley, and a senior counsel with Microsoft and eBay in China and the U.S.
He holds an LLB degree from Peking University Law School, an LL.M from Harvard Law School, and a JSD from Stanford University.
Davis is now an Arbitrator of SCIA, and an adjunct professor at the Business School of China University of Political Science and Law. He is also Counsel to the China Finance 40 Forum.