Dirk-Jan is a managing associate in the Amsterdam Financial Markets group. Dirk-Jan specialises in banking and securities law. He advises financial institutions and other market participants on a variety of transactions, including; credit facilities, project finance, structured finance, debt capital markets, repos, derivatives, clearing, and related financial regulatory law.
- Recent Work
- advising financial institutions and alternative lenders as well as borrowers on bilateral, club deal and syndicated credit facilities (including LMA credit documentation) and security packages, in relation to acquisition finance, real estate finance and project finance
- advising ABN Amro and certain Allianz entities on the financing of the property “The Atrium” at the South-Axis in Amsterdam by funds managed by French investors Amundi Real Estate and Korean investors
- advising several investment banks, including BBVA, Bank of America, Credit Suisse, UBS and Deutsche Bank on structured finance transactions
- advising financial institutions, corporates and sponsors on hedging various lending and structured finance transactions
- negotiating ISDA master agreements, credit support documents, GMRAs and GMSLAs (and transactions thereunder) for various financial institutions and corporate clients
- acting for debt funds on their bids on and the acquisition of loan portfolios
- advising on the civil law and regulatory aspects of financial instruments with Dutch banks, insurers, pension funds and investment funds
- advising on EMIR, BRRD and the CRR treatment of financial instruments and negotiating the related (clearing) documentation
- advising several major institutional clients on client clearing documentation and opining on netting and collateral enforceability and counterparty capacity.
Dirk-Jan obtained his bachelor's degree from Utrecht University in 2009 and he received his master’s degree (LL.M.) in the masters Corporate Law and Law and Economics from Utrecht University in 2011. Dirk-Jan successfully completed the post-graduate Grotius Academy (Finance and Security Rights) in 2017.
Dirk-Jan regularly publishes on his areas of expertise, including academically. Dirk-Jan joined Simmons & Simmons in 2012. He has spent 2 months in the New York office of a leading international law firm.