Eduardo heads Simmons & Simmons’ employment practice in Spain, advising on both contentious and non-contentious employment issues. He specialises in advising on cross-border transactions, including issues raised in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and integrations, as well as major international projects, such as restructurings and outsourcing. This includes collective employment issues such as collective bargaining, works council elections, the structure and organisation of European works councils and negotiations linked to reductions in the work force and collective transfers. Eduardo advises a wide range of clients from start-up companies to multinational corporations across all of the firm’s core sectors (Financial Institutions, Asset Management and Investment Funds, TMT and particularly, Life Sciences).
- Recent Work
- assisting a multinational pharmaceutical products manufacturer with the reorganization of its activities in Spain and Portugal
- assisting a leading Spanish outsourcing and customer service provider with the implementation of a collective layoff as well as with the transfer of undertakings of part of its workforce (TUPE)
- advising a major financial institution in several highly complex and sensitive litigation cases
- assisting a leading pharmaceutical company with the closure of part of its business, involving the termination of the whole sales force across the country
- advising a leading entertainment company with the restructuring of its workforce, termination of its General Manager and investigation of other members of the management
- assisting an insurance company with the restructuring of its workforce in Spain, including transfers and terminations
- assisting a multinational pharmaceutical company with the outsourcing of part of their business to a low-cost third country.
Eduardo joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in 2013. Previously, he was a partner at a leading international law firm practicing in its Barcelona, Chicago and Palo Alto offices. Eduardo is a member of the Madrid Bar Association.
He is a frequent publisher of articles related to employment matters and lectures as a professor at the ISDE and IE universities in Spain.
Eduardo is a leading practitioner included in the most renowned legal directories. Eduardo Peñacoba of Simmons & Simmons LLP stands out for his experience working with clients in the life sciences sector. He advises on cross-border M&A, restructuring and disciplinary dismissal mandates. One client says that Peñacoba "understands the needs of my business and gives the best solution possible" while another adds: "He adapts very easily to different situations" (Chambers Europe 2017).
Also, Eduardo is praised by clients for "his experience with the unions and his knowledge of the region of Catalonia." He advises on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters (Chambers Europe 2016).
Eduardo is fluent in English and Spanish.