Edward specialises in pensions law and has 10 years’ experience of advising pension trustees and corporates on all aspects of pensions law. His experience includes advising on pension benefit redesigns (from modifying ongoing defined benefit accrual to scheme closures), funding negotiations (including in the context of takeovers and other M&A), reduction of past service liabilities (including transfer out exercises), the pensions aspects of M&A (including establishing new standalone pension schemes for targets) and the legal aspects of pension fund investment (including liability driven investment and buy-ins and buy-outs).
- Recent Work
- advising corporates on substantial benefit redesigns, including capping increases to pensionable pay, removing fringe benefits for future pensionable service and establishing new standalone pension schemes
- scheme mergers on the rationalisation of legacy defined benefit pension arrangements
- advising on enhanced transfer value exercises
- advising in relation to a claim before the Spanish courts for a refund of Spanish withholding tax on dividends paid by Spanish corporates into UK-based pension investment vehicles
- advising trustees on a wholesale rebalancing of their investment portfolio, including negotiating a bespoke discretionary investment management agreement in relation to the gradual transition of the Scheme’s investments out of growth assets to liability matching assets as the Scheme’s funding improves.
Edward joined Simmons & Simmons in 2015, having previously been a senior associate at another major international law firm.
Edward is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers. He is also a member of the Society of Pensions Professionals and sits on its European sub-committee.