Eric is a Consultant in our Dispute Resolution Group, based in Hong Kong. He has extensive experience advising and representing clients on complex, high-value and high-profile disputes and investigations, in Hong Kong and the PRC and generally in Asia. Eric's clients include financial institutions, listed companies and multinational conglomerates.
He has represented clients in arbitrations seated in Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, London and Geneva, under various arbitration rules. Eric is recognised in the Legal 500 directory in 2016 and 2018 for his arbitration expertise. He received the Ray Hughes prize awarded by the Charted Institute of Arbitrators, and writes on arbitration topics regularly, including co-authoring a chapter in the treatise: Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide (4th Edition) (2017).
Eric also has deep expertise handling litigation, and regularly assists clients in navigating investigations conducted by regulators, including the SFC, ICAC, HKMA, Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Communications Authority, Hong Kong Customs and the Department of Health.
- Recent Work*
- represented a leading electronics company in a Hong Kong-seated arbitration under the ICC rules, in relation to a dispute concerning a joint venture in the PRC. The total value of the arbitration was in excess of US$650 million*
- represented a major oil company in a high-profile Singapore-seated, ad-hoc (UNCITRAL) arbitration against its business partners in relation to a significant oil and gas project in the South China Sea. The amount in dispute was over RMB3 billion*
- represented a steel manufacturer in two consolidated ad-hoc (UNCITRAL) arbitrations seated in Macau, in respect of breaches by a major casino group under two Macau law-governed umbrella supply contracts. The amount in dispute was in excess of HK$160 million
- represented a television broadcaster in its successful landmark judicial review of a decision by the Hong Kong Takeovers Panel in connection with a share buy-back transaction, and ensuing high profile review by the Communications Authority*
- advised a Hong Kong-listed company in its precedent-setting winding-up application in the Cayman Islands and related application for the appointment of provisional liquidators, as a result of the triggering of certain change-of-control provisions in the company’s offshore bonds due to an ongoing shareholders’ dispute*
- advised and defended a European bank in two Hong Kong High Court actions involving allegations of misrepresentation and breaches of duties. The claim was in excess of US$80 million
- acted on numerous high profile regulatory investigations, including the HKMA HIBOR investigation;* an investigation concerning the adequacy of product due diligence in respect of a Madoff fund;* and an investigation instigated by the US DOJ, concerning the hiring practices of a major US bank*
- acted for a Hong Kong-listed company in responding to inquiries from the HKEx and SFC relating to the misappropriation of assets, valued at over RMB600 million, by the former CEO of the company, and assisted the company to resume trading of its shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange following a lengthy investigation and review process*
*Experience at other law firms
Eric attained his LLB and B Commerce (with Distinction) degrees from the University of New South Wales, and his PCLL (with Distinction) postgraduate diploma from the City University of Hong Kong.
He is admitted to practice in Hong Kong and New South Wales (Australia) and is a member of The Law Society of Hong Kong. He is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Eric completed his training with Simmons & Simmons, and has also worked at other leading international law firms prior to re-joining the firm.
Eric is recognised as a "key contact" in international arbitration by Legal500 (2016) and was also mentioned in the 2018 edition under the international arbitration category.