Fernando has extensive experience as a litigator in a wide range of civil and criminal procedures, advising international and domestic clients.
Fernando leads the Crime, Fraud and Investigations Group in Spain. He practices corporate criminal law and deals with white collar crime and fraud.
He is a highly respected specialist in procedural and arbitration law regarding business issues. Fernando acts as an arbitrator before the “Corte de Madrid” (court of arbitration of the Cámara Española de Comercio), the court of arbitration of the Madrid Bar Association, the Corte Española de Aribitraje and the CCI Court of Arbitration.
- Recent Work
- defending the Spanish government and the bank of Spain in a case of corruption against the directors and managers of Bankia, the fourth largest financial institution in Spain
- acting as arbitrator in the CCI arbitration (Spanish law) in a multimillion lawsuit between a leading German group and a family-run company due to a disagreement in the management of a company
- defending a leading English bank before the High Court of Madrid against a civil ruling for the Bank to pay €85m and acting as plaintiff for the Bank in the criminal prosecution of corruption filed against the Magistrate the Public Prosecutor before the High Court of Madrid and the Constitutional Courts
- defending a Spanish company, partly owned by the Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos de Entidades de Crédito (Deposit Guarantee Fund - the public entity to guarantee the deposits in Spanish banks) in a lawsuit for €23m due to a breach of contract
- acting as arbitrator in a procedure initiated by a Spanish collective investment company against its SGIIC (a management company of a collective investment scheme)
- defending the former President of a Spanish public company in the defence sector in a procedure for alleged corruption of public officials in Africa, Middle East and South America
- defending clients of an international bank in a case of tax fraud after the leaking of the information provided by Hervé Falciani to French tax authorities.
Fernando was admitted to the Madrid Bar Association in 1979.
Fernando joined Mochales & Palacios as a partner in 2002 and as the result of the merger with Simmons & Simmons he became a partner in March 2007.
Fernando is a recognized leading practitioner in the market, he is known by peers and clients as "a prestigious senior practitioner" and "a great banking law specialist" (Chambers 2018).
Prior to join the firm he managed his own firm for more than 15 years. He also has in house experience having been employed with Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos en Establecimientos Bancarios (1982-1985), Corporación Bancaria
(1980-1982) and Iberleasing (1979).
Fernando is a lecturer in Instituto de Empresa (Master de Asesoría Jurídica y de Acceso a la Abogacía) since 1988.