James is a partner in the corporate and commercial team based in Dubai. He specialises in public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, investment fund establishment and financial regulation. His clients include private equity funds, investment managers, sovereign wealth funds, corporates, financial institutions and state-owned enterprises. James has been based in the MENA region for over six years. He is fluent in English and German.
- Recent Work
- advising Abu Dhabi Financial Group on the establishment and placement in the UAE of Goldilocks Investment Company, an open ended activist fund and the first fund to be established in the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), and on the establishment of its ADGM domiciled investment manager
- advising Caisse des Depots International Capital (CDIC) on the establishment of a US$400m investment fund to be jointly managed by Kingdom Holding Company and CDIC
- advising on a joint venture between a UAE sovereign wealth fund and a US real estate manager on the establishment of a seeded Shari’a compliant real estate fund
- advising a UAE sovereign wealth fund on the establishment of a multi billion Asia focussed investment fund
- advising QInvest on the structuring and establishment of Shari’a compliant investment fund relating to a real estate investment in London.a Saudi financial institution on the establishment of two Sharia’a complaint Saudi CMA regulated investment funds with targeted commitments of US$350m which will invest in conventional and renewable power projects
- advising Credit Suisse on establishing Aventicum Capital Management Limited, a joint venture asset manager owned by Credit Suisse and QIA and which is established and regulated in the Qatar Financial Center
- advising a leading Saudi financial institution on the establishment of two Shari’a complaint Saudi CMA regulated investment funds with targeted commitments of US$350m for investment in conventional and renewable power projects
- advising on sovereign cornerstone investments into certain KKR, CVC and Blackstone managed investment funds
- advising multiple investment managers including AVIVA, Goldman Sachs, CVC, KKR, Blackstone and Harbourvest on the placement of their investment products in the MENA region.
James qualified as a lawyer in 2001 and joined the firm in 2015. Prior to joining, he worked for other leading international law firms advising on public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, reorganisations, the establishment of investment funds and financial services regulation.
In IFLR 2015, James is ranked as a Leading Lawyer.
In Chambers Global 2015, James is ranked as a Band 3 lawyer for Middle East Investment Funds and Corporate/Commercial in Qatar.