Jek-Aun has a wealth of experience in private and retail funds as well as listed funds/capital markets work, including private equity/venture capital, real estate, infrastructure and hedge funds and ETFs. His transactional and advisory experience includes acting for domestic and international clients on the structuring, establishment, registration and marketing of onshore and offshore funds or managed accounts investing in a spectrum of asset classes, and advising on licensing, regulatory and securities laws issues. He also advises corporate and institutional clients, university endowments, tertiary institutions and sovereign wealth funds in connection with their investments in funds, and assists fund managers with the establishment of their operations in Singapore.
Jek-Aun is a member of the Singapore Regulatory Committee and also the Singapore Tax Committee of the Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA).
Jek-Aun has advised on closed-ended and open-ended corporates, unit trusts and limited partnerships. He also advises on share disclosure issues under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Recent Work
- advising various Singapore based established and also start-up managers (including numerous prominent spin-outs) on the establishment and launch of hedge funds
- advising Singapore based PE/VC fund managers on the establishment of PE and VC funds
- advising various Singapore based managers on the establishment of real estate funds
- advising several of the leading global institutional managers and also domestic groups on the structuring, establishment and/or registration of their funds for retail public offer
- advising various leading Asian investment management groups on the establishment and listing of their ETFs
- advising various foreign and local managers on the establishment and licensing of their Singapore fund management operations and on their non-routine regulatory concerns
- advising various domestic and overseas managers as well as FIs regarding the marketing and/or registration of funds for offer in Singapore and also on their cross-border regulatory surveys
- advising various PE/VC and real estate groups on their investments in funds, managed accounts and co-investments.
Jek-Aun is based in Singapore. He was formerly a partner and a funds practice group head in the financial services department of a big four domestic law firm. He has been specialising in investment funds and regulatory work since 1998 and is considered a pioneer and veteran by many in the Singapore fund management industry. He has also worked at various other prominent law firms in Singapore and Hong Kong. While in Hong Kong, he specialised in funds and regulatory work at another leading multinational law firm.
Jek-Aun speaks and writes regularly on legal and regulatory issues concerning the fund management industry. His past speaking engagements include speaking at the HFM Singapore Operational Leaders’ Summit 2016, the AVCJ Private Equity & Venture Forum (Singapore 2015 and 2016), the Institute of Banking and Finance 2010 Compliance Seminar: Responding to Global Regulatory Evolution and the UBS APAC Journalists Forum 2010. He co-wrote the Singapore Chapter of The Asset Management Review and the Singapore Chapter of the International Guide to Hedge Fund Regulation and has contributed articles to the Financier Worldwide, the International Financial Law Review, the Capital Markets Law Journal and Lexis Practical Guidance Singapore (Private Equity Funds). Jek-Aun’s views on legal and regulatory developments in the industry are also often sought by various trade publications, mainstream news media and regulators.
Jek-Aun has been regularly cited for more than a decade by prominent international legal directories for his expertise and as a leader in his field, with clients interviewed attesting that he “is someone we can rely on to cover all the aspects” and highlighting his ability to “visualise the transaction from beginning to end at the outset and rendering practical advice”. He has “a deep understanding of fund management and the applicability and impact of the regulations” and “is a good counsel, very professional and knowledgeable”, and “he is particularly noted for his specialism in private funds, and his clientele comprises major offshore and onshore funds, as well as private equity firms and hedge funds”. Jek-Aun is singled out for his “very strong practice” in the investment funds space and clients are also impressed by his “prompt response and practical advice”.
Jek-Aun has been regularly ranked in Chambers Asia-Pacific for more than a decade for Investment Funds winning plaudits for his extensive expertise in this space, representing leading asset managers. Sources have remarked that he “always responds quickly with commercially viable solutions” and have highlighted his “strong client-focused attitude”.