Leo specialises in corporate law with an emphasis on private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and corporate governance. He heads the private equity group in the Netherlands and is head of the International Private Equity Group of the firm. Leo is fluent in Dutch, English and Spanish.
His client base includes European and US private equity firms, banks, and international and domestic corporations among others active in food and consumer goods. Leo has developed a consistent and impressive track record in assisting private equity firms and management teams in buy-outs.
- Recent Work
- advising Koch Industries, Inc. on various matters
- advising Refresco and its shareholders on the minority participation of 3i in the Refresco Group
- advising Foreman Capital on the sale of Orangefield Trust to AAC Capital
- advising Gilde Equity Management (GEM) Benelux on various management buy-outs and divestments such as the divestment of Dunlop Protective Footwear and Famed and the acquisitions of Leen Bakker and Kwantum
- advising Intertrust and its management on the sale of the company by Waterland Private Equity to Blackstone Group
- advising Argos Wityu on the acquisition of Langhenkel
- advising Qualium Investissement on the acquisition of Northumbrian Fine Foods Limited and Walnut Tree Foods Limited (United Kingdom), Arluy, S.L.U. and Global Biscuits, S.L.U. (Spain), and Stroopwafel & Co. B.V. (the Netherlands).
From 1992 until 1996 Leo practised law in the Netherlands Antilles with a leading Netherlands Antilles (Curacao) firm.
He is the author of various publications regarding corporate governance in (among others) the International Business Lawyer, the International Company and Commercial Law Review, the Dutch Financial Times and the Dutch chapter of Global Competition Review's Corporate Governance in 22 jurisdictions worldwide.
Legal 500, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe all recommend Leo for private equity and M&A. He has been consistently mentioned by the legal directories as the firm’s private equity and corporate governance expert. Clients speak highly of the work done by him and praise him for the “outstanding ability” to close gaps on the basis of business solutions.
As well as being quoted in Chambers Global as an “excellent deal maker”, Leo is also recommended as a Private Equity Lawyer by IFLR 1000 and Best Lawyers. Furthermore, he was nominated for Best M&A Lawyer by the M&A community in The Netherlands for the M&A Awards 2017. He is experienced in mid-market M&A and private equity mandates, recently advising Gilde Equity Management on the sale of Sovitec Mondial to Potters Netherlands Holdings II. An interviewee notes: “He is a top-class lawyer who is very experienced and knowledgeable [and who also] raises the commercial and legal issues we need to negotiate to make the deal happen.”