Marc is the firm’s Asia Head of Dispute Resolution. He has substantial experience dealing with a broad range of complex litigation, investigations and regulatory matters. Marc's practice has an emphasis on finance litigation, for both investment and retail banks. He has advised on a variety of finance disputes including complex mis-selling claims, structured finance disputes, security enforcement claims, breach of mandate claims, knowing assistance/receipt claims, banking confidentiality issues, a substantial syndicated loan default, and refinancing disputes. He has acted on major international regulatory investigations for both retail and investment banks.
Marc also specialises in corporate litigation, where his experience includes major M&A litigation, breach of warranty claims, directors’ duties disputes; acting for both vendors and purchasers in large completion accounts disputes; substantial shareholder dispute proceedings; and disputes relating to earn out entitlements.
Marc has recently been described by directories as "outstanding", praised for his "wealth of experience" in retail and wholesale banking litigation, "a first-class operator and a brilliant mind. Really user-friendly, forward looking and responsive", "very attentive, very thoughtful and very approachable", "rated very well, particularly by banks". He is "very easy to work with", "tenacious and dogged" and "a strong and commercial-minded lawyer, who is strategic in his thinking".
Marc and his team won the Legal Innovation in Dispute Resolution award at the FT Innovative Lawyer Awards 2014.
- Recent Work
- conducting major international regulatory investigations on behalf of both investment and retail banks
- seconded (twice) at a senior level to the litigation department of a leading UK bank, with conduct of a wide range of international banking litigation and investigations
- acting for a large multinational bank in litigation concerning commissions and payment protection issues
- acting for international financial institutions in relation to parliamentary enquiries, and in relation to regulatory consultation exercises
- acting for the claimant in £250m High Court proceedings concerning alleged breaches of duty by corporate finance advisers in the context of a company takeover on the London Stock Exchange
- acting for the liquidators of one of the largest ever international bank insolvencies
- acting in relation to complex employment injunction proceedings
- acting for an international investment bank in proceedings concerning the redemption of notes following changes in tax arrangements
Marc joined Simmons & Simmons as a litigation partner in November 2008. Marc was a partner in the firm’s London office from 2008 to 2016, and relocated to the Hong Kong office in January 2017, from where he works closely with the Asia disputes group and the wider financial institutions client teams.
Prior to that he worked in the litigation department of another major international law firm in London (for nine years), and before that in a leading New Zealand law firm (for over three years).
Marc is qualified in England & Wales (as a solicitor) and in New Zealand (as a barrister and solicitor).