Melissa qualified as a Solicitor in Hong Kong in 2003 and in England in 2008. She specialises in financial markets disputes, investigations and contentious regulatory matters. These include proceedings in the MMT, mis-selling claims and regulatory, ICAC and police investigations. She also has extensive experience in commercial litigation (including shareholders and joint venture disputes, fraud claims and professional negligence claims).
Melissa also advises on contentious employment matters, including internal disciplinary investigations, dismissals and corporate compliance culture, and has represented clients in a number of High Court injunction applications to enforce employee restrictive covenants.
In 2005, Melissa became an accredited mediator of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre’s (General) Panel of Mediators. She has mediated a number of disputes since and has given seminars and training on mediation.
Melissa is fluent in English and Cantonese and speaks Mandarin and Hokkien.
- Recent Work
- acting for a former director of major Hong Kong listed conglomerate on the SFC’s enforcement action into alleged dissemination of false and misleading information, including an on-going market misconduct inquiry, recovery action brought by the SFC in the High Court on behalf of the investing public, a Judicial Review of the regulator’s decided enforcement methods and separate civil claims brought by independent investors
- advising director of listed company on SFC investigation into the alleged dissemination of false and misleading information to the public and to the regulators
- advising offshore hedge fund on compliance with cold shoulder order made by the Market Misconduct Tribunal in Hong Kong
- advising bank on internal investigations into possible breaches of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance
- advising securities broker on its internal investigations into hacking and AML issues, and advising on related JFIU and SFC enquiries
- advising Hong Kong listed pharmaceutical company on HKEx and SFC enquiries, and separate ICAC investigations
- advising communications platform business on regulatory and enforcement action in Hong Kong, including high-profile police investigations.
In 2005, Melissa became an accredited mediator of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre’s (General) Panel of Mediators. She has mediated a number of disputes since and has actively given seminars and training on mediation.
Melissa is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese, and speaks some Hokkien.