Michael has over 20 years' experience advising on a broad spectrum of corporate transactions in the Asia-Pacific region. As an Australian Chinese having worked in Australia, Hong Kong and China, Michael has a unique ability to bridge the cross cultural gap, often critical to completing deals in the region. Michael has represented both foreign multi-national and Chinese clients involved in public and private merger and acquisition transactions, ranging from Hong Kong listed company takeovers to cross border acquisitions, as well as in the execution of their market entry strategies into Greater China. He is also an experienced private equity practitioner, having represented a number of reputable venture capital and private equity funds with their fund raising and investment transactions as well as emerging growth companies with their various stages of financing and other general corporate needs. Over the years Michael has assisted clients across a variety of industries, including automotive, healthcare and life sciences, clean energy, financial institutions, technology, media and telecoms as well as manufacturing. Clients look to Michael as a trusted adviser, creative thinker and problem solver.
- Recent work
- advising Anixter Inc. in connection with the management buyout of its network integration business by Netstar International
- advising British Telecom with respect to its investment in Binariang Sdn Bhd, a major Malaysian telecoms operator
- advising Cobham plc with the management buyout of one of its PRC business subsidiaries
- advising NVC Lighting, a leading PRC lighting manufacturer, with both Series B financing by Goldman Sachs and strategic acquisition of another PRC lighting manufacturing group
- advising UES International, a leading container leasing company, with respect to its investment by Primavera Capital Group
- advising Renewable Energy Corporation, a leading Norwegian solar energy products manufacturer, with negotiation with Singapore Economic Development Board for US$2.5bn investment project in Singapore
- advised AIM listed Abcam plc (Abcam) on its agreement to acquire the entire issued share capital of Epitomics International Inc (Epitomics), for US$170m (2012).
Michael is a partner in the Corporate & Commercial Group and splits his time between Hong Kong and Shanghai. Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons in 2017, Michael was a partner at another international law firm, working in Hong Kong and Shanghai.
Michael is admitted to practice in Hong Kong and Australia (Victoria). He speaks fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin.