Paul is a partner based in our Dubai office and is a co-chair of the firm’s Africa practice. He has advised Governments, Utilities, Regulators and private companies on energy & infrastructure projects across Africa, including in South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Rwanda, Lesotho and South Sudan.
- Advising clients in East Africa
- IPS Ltd: Advising on the West Nile rural electrification project in Uganda
- Government of Uganda: Drafting the Electricity Bill 1999 (now Electricity Act 1999)
- Government of Kenya: Advising on privatisation options for the water sector in Mombasa
- The Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited (KPLC) and the Ministry of Energy: Advising on licensing matters in relation to a 74 MW power plant in Kenya
- The Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited (KPLC): Advising on the evaluation of tender documents for two 55 MW power plants proposed to be implemented on a fast-track basis
- Government of Rwanda: Advising (as part of a consortium led by PwC) on procuring the financing for a proposed new $650m airport in Rwanda (Bugesera Airport)
- Gulf Power Limited: Advising on the development of power plant in Kenya
- the Government of Uganda (in 1999) on provisions of the draft PPA for the Bujagali Hydro-electric project
- Trans-Century Limited: Advising on a shareholder dispute in relation to the Rift Valley Railway project.
- Advising clients in Southern Africa
- Government of South Africa: Advising on the procuring of new electricity generation through the introduction of two new IPPs into South Africa
- Government of Botswana: Advising on privatisation options for the electricity sector
- Government of Lesotho: Advising on the restructuring of the electricity and water sectors in Lesotho, including advising on the legal and regulatory framework and reviewing and drafting new local electricity water and privatisation laws.
- Advising clients in West Africa
- Eskom Enterprises: Advising on a potential investment in the Western Power Project in Ghana
- Lukoil Overseas Services BV: Advising on various investments in the oil sector in several African countries.
- Advising clients outside of Africa
- Electricité de France: Advising on the take-over of London Electricity plc
- Commission for Electricity Regulation in Ireland: Advising on the establishment of the electricity regulatory commission (CER)
- Entergy Power Group: Advising on a gas sales agreement for the Saltend Power Station in the UK
- NIB Capital: Advising on a gas sales agreement for a power station in the UK
- Commission for Electricity Regulation: Advising on the restructuring of the Irish Electricity Sector and the implementation of the IME Directive, including drafting licences, drafting trading and settlement code and drafting levy orders
- The Department of Economic Development: Advising on the Constitution of the Northern Ireland Electricity Review Group
- Confidential Client: Advising on a proposed fuel supply agreement, as part of the client's proposed participation in independent power projects in Mexico
- Confidential Client: Advising a Dubai company on the provisions of a gas sales agreement.