Robert’s practice covers a wide range of issues under European and Dutch competition law. He represents clients before the European Commission and the Dutch Competition Authority in matters relating to cartel defence, abuse of dominance and merger control proceedings. He also advises clients on issues relating to multijurisdictional cartel investigations and damages claims.
Robert has advised clients on high-value and complex matters spanning a wide spectrum of economic sectors including chemicals, defence, pharmaceuticals, and technology.
Robert was admitted to the Amsterdam Bar in 2008, and is registered on the EU list of the Brussels Bar. He works in Dutch and English.
- Recent Work
- advised clients involved in complex cartel investigations by the European Commission and national competition authorities with respect to automotive wire harnesses, automotive electronic components, batteries, flour, and smart card chips
- represented companies before the European Commission and other authorities worldwide in connection with high-value and complex merger control matters including:
- represented a major pharmaceutical company in relation to a multi-billion U.S. dollar combination (eventually abandoned due to tax reasons)
- represented a global resin supplier in its combination with another resin supplier (approved subject to commitments)
- advised client on opposing a joint venture on certain operating systems before the European Commission and helping to secure far-reaching remedies
- involved in a company’s complaint to the European Commission regarding breach of merger commitments
- advised investors on possible regulatory remedies in a matter before the European Commission.
Robert joined Simmons & Simmons in 2018.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons, Robert worked in the Antitrust practice group of two international law firms and at a leading Dutch law firm.
A native Dutch speaker with fluent English, Robert holds a Master of Laws (with Distinction) from Maastricht University, a Ph.D. from Maastricht University, and an LL.M. from Harvard Law School. He has more than 30 publications, including in the CMLR, ERPL and MJECL.
Robert has co-authored the European Union chapter
in Merger Control 2018 (Global Legal Insights) published in 2018.