As a lawyer and certified mediator, Sascha is a partner in disputes resolution and compliance whose practice focuses on representing clients in complex civil and criminal matters and other sensitive situations.
He has broad experience in advising companies and organisations on compliance matters, including data privacy, white collar crime, tax and insolvency crime. In all of these areas Sascha carries out audits, provides training and advises on risk analyses and the design of compliance programs. In addition, he sets up and runs whistleblower programmes and serves as an ombudsman for international companies.
Sascha regularly conducts internal investigations for his clients, both nationally and internationally.
In Global Investigations Review’s 2014 inaugural “40 under 40” overview of the world’s leading investigation lawyers he was chosen as the only lawyer in the continental European Union. Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers recognises Sascha as one of Germany’s best Criminal Defence Lawyers.
- Recent Work
- advising Larry Thompson, the Monitor appointed by the US Department of Justice in the global Volkswagen diesel emission scandal, on all matters of European and German law, notably in the areas of compliance & data privacy
- conducting an internal investigation regarding the German business of a US corporation in a multimillion case of breach of trust and bribery
- advising the managing director of a fund regarding tax and criminal law implications of cum-ex transactions in Germany
- implementing the international whistleblowing hotline for RWE AG and E.ON SE
- providing advice to a B. Braun Melsungen AG on the necessary risk analyses and the design of its international anti-money laundering programme
- advising international financial institutions with regard to the implementation of data privacy policies and data privacy related aspects of internal investigations
- advising an Asian telecoms company on German regulatory and criminal law aspects of data privacy.
Sascha read law at the Universities of Passau, Pavia (Italy) and Cologne, mediation in Hagen (M.M.), completed postgraduate studies in criminal tax law in Hagen and worked for several law firms in Italy, Belgium and Germany as well as a chair for criminal law and criminal procedure.
He has worked in the Simmons & Simmons Düsseldorf office since joining the firm in 2004 and became a partner in 2011.
Sascha publishes and lectures frequently in Germany and abroad. In Chambers Europe 2015 clients highlight his ability “to set out complex details clearly and simply”.
He is a member of the Israeli client development team and is fluent in German, English, French and Italian.
Sascha has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Germany, as published in the German financial newspaper Handelsblatt. Legal 500 (2017/2018) lists Sascha Kuhn as "frequently recommended" lawyer for Compliance in Germany.