Simon has considerable experience in all aspects of commercial real estate. This includes mixed use, residential, student accomodation, office and retail led development and mainstream investment work. The nature of his practice means that he regularly leads large multi-disciplinary transactions, often involving complex joint venture structures, forward funding arrangements, significant pre-lets and high value sales and purchases. He is an expert in housing led development, having worked for the leading stakeholders in this Sector throughout his career.
- Recent Work
- advising a joint venture between Dutch and UK based pension funds in connection with the acquisition, development and disposal of various central London properties
- advising a leading instiutional client in connection with the acquisition, forward funding and letting of the largest distribution centre in Europe
- advising a global developer in connection with a complex multi-party, multi-site purchase and development of two former school sites in South West London involving structuring, procurement, vires, phased conditionality and statutory disposal restrictions
- advising a British luxury fashion brand in connection with the pre-letting of its new west end flagship store
- advising an award winning London developer in connection with a joint venture with one of the UK’s largest registered providers to bring forward the development of a large scale residential led development in East London
- advising a leading global developer on the acquisition, development and associated joint venture and financing arrangements for student accomodation schemes in England.
Simon qualified in 2000. Post qualification he has worked at two City and international law firms, since 2011 as a partner, joining Simmons & Simmons in May 2018 as a partner in the Real Estate group which forms part of the financial markets department.
Chambers and Partners comments that: "Simon Gardiner is described by source as a 'really nice guy' and 'very good and very highly rated.' He focuses on large-scale development and infrastructure projects and acts for public and private sector clients on site acquisitions and mixed-use schemes."