Thierry specialises in corporate finance with a particular focus on stock exchange and financial markets, in particular public takeovers, initial public offerings, listings on Euronext and rights issues.
He also has an extensive knowledge of finance litigation with a specific experience in the area of regulatory and judicial investigations, enforcement proceedings before French courts and market regulators in connection with alleged breaches of stock exchange regulations and white collar crimes. He advises investment banks, insurance companies, public companies, asset managers and funds (hedge funds particularly).
- Recent Work
- advising Alitalia branch in France in the context of the insolvency proceedings opened against the mother company in Italy
- advising Covéa Insurance Group in the context of the takeover bid initiated by Eurosic on Foncière de Paris, the counteroffer made by Gecina and subsequent litigation on the AMF decision with the Court of Appeal
- advising Plukon Food Group on the acquisition of Duc, negotiation with creditors, subsequent take over and squeeze out
- advising a major hedge fund in an AMF investigation and enforcement proceeding on potential market abuse (insider’s trading, utilization of privileged information)
- assisting a major international bank in the context of a settlement process with the AMF pursuant to a control on its compliance duties
- assisting several hedge funds on French corporate governance and shareholders rights in the context of tender offers in France
- assisting a large international corporate group on a judicial investigation on alleged market abuse and corruption.
Thierry Gontard is the senior partner of the Paris office and a member of the Paris Executive Committee.
Thierry is a French qualified lawyer, admitted to the Paris Bar in 1988. He started his career in a major international law firm. Then, he was in charge of legal issues pertaining to financial transactions at the French Commission des Opérations en Bourse (COB), now Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF). He joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in 2001 and became managing partner and Country Head of the Paris office between 2005 and 2017.
Known as “a key point of contact” Thierry is recognises by Chambers Europe 2016 for his work for significant clients like Covea, Eliott management Allianz and more.
He regularly speaks at conferences and seminars with the AMF (including AMF Sanctions Committee).