Verena is a specialist lawyer in employment law (Fachanwältin für Arbeitsrecht) and head of our German employment practice. She advises national and international companies on all matters relating to individual and collective employment law. She regularly assists national and international clients in restructuring matters (mass redundancies, closure and relocation of businesses, insourcing and outsourcing, etc) as well as on the employment law aspects of internal investigations. A particular focus of her work involves advising banks and financial service providers on employment issues. Verena has specific expertise advising a number of major financial institutions on the design and implementation of remuneration strategies and policies particularly in the light of the evolving European developments.
- Recent Work
- advising HVB/UniCredit in a global restructuring/collective redundancy exercise across 24 jurisdictions including advice on global zero bonus approach
- advising a leading German asset manager in connection with the pan-European restructuring of its branch offices and subsidiaries
- assisting a leading international asset manager on the comprehensive restructuring and strategic realignment of its German activities, including negotiating a reconciliation of interests and social plan
- advising several leading international investment banks on all aspects of employment law, including bonus claims, senior executive terminations and appointments and a redundancy exercise
- advising Ferrostaal on the employment law aspects of the establishment of a joint venture with Rheinmetall
- advising R-Pharm on the employment law aspects of its acquisition of a production plant from Pfizer.
Verena read law in Düsseldorf. She completed her studies with a Master of Advanced European Studies (MAES), an interdisciplinary course on European law, politics and economics in Basel/Switzerland. Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons, Verena worked for law firms in Milan and Sydney.
She has worked in the Simmons & Simmons Düsseldorf office since joining the firm in 2004 and became partner in 2011. During a secondment in 2007, Verena acted as the sole German legal counsel of the mortgage insurance branch of Genworth Financial, a leading financial security company. Verena is a member of the Employment Law Group of the German Lawyers’ Association, the European Employment Lawyers' Associations, and the German Labour Court Association. Based on enthusiastic feedback from clients, Chambers Europe (2014) rates Verena as a "leading individual" in the employment field.
Verena Braeckeler-Kogel advises our clients in both English and German.