Simmons & Simmons and leading Japanese law firm TMI Associates established a joint venture in 2001, forming the market-leading alliance between a major Japanese law firm and a major international firm. Through our unique pooling of specialist resources both in and outside Japan, we provide clients with seamless, multi-jurisdictional, full-service legal support in Japan and internationally.
In practice this means:
- specialist advice across all areas of law – both Japanese law and international
- a clear understanding of the legal and business cultures in which both Japanese and international companies operate
- fully bilingual English and Japanese language capabilities.
Our market-leading joint venture has combined legal staff resources of over 360 in Japan and over 800 outside Japan. Through our unique combination, we pool TMI’s full service Japanese law capabilities (both lawyers (bengoshi) and patent attorneys (benrishi)) with the multi-jurisdictional and sectoral expertise of Simmons & Simmons to deliver first-rate legal services across disciplines, jurisdictions and languages.
For reasons of client confidentiality we are unable to provide full details of our clients, however, we can provide a range of legal services in Japan including:
- advising on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) in non-contentious construction matters, especially those in the transport, energy and renewables sectors.
- acting on numerous large corporate acquisitions in Japan for international clients and outside Japan for Japanese clients.
- representing several major corporates and financial institutions in relation to Japanese employment law matters.
Investment fund operators
- advising major Japanese and international investment fund operators on the establishment of offshore funds for investment by residents of Japan.
- advising on the financing and development of major infrastructure projects, particularly in the transport, power and energy sectors in the UK, Middle East, South East Asia and the Americas.
- advising on numerous structured securities transactions, including repackagings.
- acting on a variety of restructuring matters including the member's voluntary liquidation of a well known Japanese company.