“a real niche when it comes to the tricky financial services-specific issues” Chambers UK, 2016
“top-quality service and advice” Legal 500 UK, 2015
“The go-to because they provide a Rolls-Royce service.” Chambers Europe, 2015
“Especially strong in the UK with well-ranked teams in Italy, France, Germany and Spain.” Chambers Europe, 2015
“Excellent throughout Asia, with outstand offices in China and Hong Kong” Chambers Global, 2015
“Excellent - the quality of work across Europe is outstanding.” Chambers Global, 2014
“A very impressive, dedicated team with excellent strength and depth." Chambers Asia, 2014
“The pre-eminent adviser for complex, high–risk claims.” Chambers UK, 2014
“Second to none in the Greater China region” Legal 500 EMEA, 2014
“approachable, decisive and commercial team: highly recommended... on high-end litigation matters and strategic restructuring projects.” Chambers UK, 2013
“home to one of the most long-standing and reputable employment practices in Hong Kong.” Chambers Asia, 2012
"This stellar employment team counts some of the world's leading investment banks and hedge funds among its clients" Chambers UK, 2012
"totally formidable opponents" Chambers UK, 2012
Our international employment practice operates from the firm’s offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Brussels, Düsseldorf, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo. The practice is a recognised leader in the global market place and advises a broad range of organisations, both in the public and private sectors.
We are one of the few firms who can offer a truly integrated employment practice. We are known for our strength-in-depth and ability to provide clients with a proactive approach to employment law matters. We have an unrivalled client base among institutions and global corporates in the firm’s key sectors - Financial Institutions, Asset Management and Investment Funds, Life Sciences and Telecommunications, Media and Technology - giving us what we believe to be an unparalleled level of experience in domestic and international employment law matters. We advise on all aspects of employment law delivering practical and effective employment solutions focused on the needs of the business.
For reasons of confidentiality we are not able to name the majority of our clients. Examples of recent projects include:
Global ratings agency
- advising on multiple multi-jurisdictional projects such as senior management contracts, bonus arrangements, social media, investigations, employee severance, compliance and conduct policies.
International investment banks
- providing cutting edge advice on strategic remuneration regulation (it being suggested that we occupy a "unique space", being employment lawyers who can understand issues in the FI / AM market)
- advising on cross border alignment of remuneration structures to conform with changing regulatory requirements in the UK, Europe and Asia Pacific including the introduction of "clawback" arrangements
- advising a top 10 investment bank on, and settling, a whistleblowing claim where the claimant was claiming £40m by way of compensation
- advising a European Investment Bank on a highly sensitive and high profile multi-million £ race discrimination claim
- defending a major global bank on a $14.5m claim involving both contractual and statutory claims.
Hedge funds and asset managers
- advising one of the largest hedge funds on major contract and partnership disputes involving multi-million £ claims
- advising a leading European asset manager on the restructuring of their European branches
- successfully defending a leading hedge fund in a 10-day High Court trial in respect of a wrongful removal claim and successfully defending an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
Energy and infrastructure
- advising a leading international energy group on the closure and liquidation of the German subsidiary and a leading worldwide petrochemicals company in relation to pan-European restructuring
- advising an energy company on an internal investigation regarding the involvement of senior management in the establishment of illegal slush funds
- advising a major infrastructure client on a case testing the scope of the provisions of the anti-union legislation relating to inducements to give up collective bargaining.
Telecommunications, media and technology
- advising a major media organisation on a multi-jurisdictional review of standards of business conduct and conflicts of interest
- advising an international technology supplier on several pan-European non contentious matters.
- advising on the European employment aspects of the disposal of a global ophthalmic systems business, including coordinating international advice on the documentation and information and consultation obligations
- drafting and advising on English and Chinese language documentation, drafting inventions, confidentiality agreements and CDAs. Assisting with the development of a strategy in relation to compensation for employee and student inventors and advising on a variety of other employment related issues for a global pharmaceutical company.
To help you stay ahead, this microsite brings together the key developments of employment law.
Anne Sammon on parent's rights in the workplace.
IEI provides summaries of key employment law topics, from discrimination and harassment to transfers of business, across a range of jurisdictions.
A practical guide for HR to the new senior managers regime which came into force in the UK on 07 March 2016.
This microsite contains tools to help organisations deal with the increasing pressure in relation to whistleblowing.