Climate Change & Environmental Finance
Increasing constraints on greenhouse gas emissions are a priority consideration in many businesses' operations. We are helping our clients to successfully manage commercial risks and seize new business opportunities in this area.
To help clients respond effectively:
- we have a focused multidisciplinary team advising in this area – comprising specialist lawyers from the firm’s environment, projects, funds, corporate finance, private equity, commercial real estate and tax practice areas
- with recognised expertise we are closely aligned with finance and corporate players including traders and investors
- we apply our sector expertise in support of a select group of NGOs including Carbon Leapfrog and the Legal Response Initiative (with WWF and Oxfam and others), and so stay closely involved in the overarching UN political process and developments at the community level
- we are the world’s first Carbon Neutral international law firm. Find out more about our environmental policy here.
Specialist climate change and cleantech services
We provide clients with timely advice on all aspects of climate change including:
- supporting clients deliver novel cleantech and renewable energy technologies
- approaches to financing and funding carbon offsetting and sequestration projects
- setting up carbon funds and investing the proceeds
- assessing alternative energy and climate projects for investment purposes including equity investments and flotations
- participating in emission trading systems
- negotiating ‘carbon’ contracts and emission reduction purchase agreements (ERPAs)
- advising on tax and accounting treatment of carbon assets and liabilities.