- FI / D&O
Litigation involving Financial Institutions is one of our strengths and our sector focus means we know the industry issues our FI insurer clients face as FI / D&O claims greatly increase in size and number.
Our Crime, Fraud and Investigations practice, in conjunction with our Regulatory and Corporate practices, offer full service advice in D&O disputes.
We advise insurers in the London Market in relation to the wording and the operation of products provided to banks, hedge funds, private equity firms, stockbrokers, trusts, and fund managers throughout the world.
We represent insurers in defending contract disputes in relation to insurance products. We also conduct or monitor the conduct of claims against insured entities across our network where coverage is not in dispute and the interests of the insurers and their insureds are aligned.
- Professional Liability
Our reputation is built on defending professionals in claims, receiving instructions from both insurers and the insured firms themselves, often from firms who are recognised leaders in their profession.
We have a proven track record for handling professional indemnity claims across the range of professions and jurisdictions, and also in the corporate, commercial and financial sectors. We can handle the full range of cases in an effective and cost-efficient manner. We operate under the highest standards and pride ourselves on being client focused.
We have specialists in and handle the largest claims against:
- construction professionals (architects, engineers, project managers, quantity surveyors)
- financial advisors
- I.T. consultants
- surveyors and valuers.
In addition to damages claims, professionals may face censure from regulators – we have expertise in regulatory and disciplinary proceedings across sectors.
Our clients now include:
- many of the leading professional liability insurers in the London market
- two of the big three actuarial firms
- a number of leading property, construction and environmental consultancy firms
- six of the Top 10 accountancy firms and several other firms from among the Top 20
- the English bar's professional indemnity insurer
- solicitors including magic circle firms.
- Product Liability & Recall
We have a long standing practice of defending product liability claims for insurers, as well as directly for insureds.
Product liability claims are often legally demanding and technically challenging. We commonly work with a wide range of experts from diverse disciplines as part of our defence teams. Product liability claims can also be logistically the most demanding to defend, perhaps involving an examination of a manufacturer’s historical activities, going back many years or resisting claims from multiple claimants and increasingly throughout Europe, multi-party or class actions. We are consistently commended for our pragmatic approach to defending claims.
We also regularly advise distributors, manufacturers and their insurers on effective recalls. Working with local regulators, PR and marketing experts, we ensure an effective recall, thereby protecting the brand and minimising potential criminal sanctions and civil claims brought against our clients.
- Commercial Risk
International and domestic enterprises are exposed to various risks some of which are naturally incidental to the business, others are entirely outside their control. As a practice with a bedrock of commercial dispute resolution, we are familiar with the problems experienced by commercial clients and the key insurance products used to protect against Contingency, Trade Credit and Political Risks. Increasingly, we are instructed by leading insurers to advise on claims and disputes in these areas.
Our experience includes:
- advising insurers on a claim in respect of the cancellation of a 23 concert tour by a legendary French pop star
- advising on claims arising from adverse weather conditions resulting in the delay/abandonment of filming television commercials
- advising insurers on a claim a resulting from the collapse of a component manufacturer to the motor industry and the non-payment of leasing obligations for manufacturing equipment
- advising in relation to a Political Risks claim in connection with an aborted commercial development in the Middle East.
Our property claims experience ranges from acting for composite insurers in relation to UK property losses, as well as advising composite and London market insurers in relation to international property claims and business interruption. Our team has advised on disputes ranging from rail, road, ports as well as office, hotel, residential builds, industrial premises and energy projects.